Food Waste and Shopping Seasonally
- Meal plan so you only purchase what you need.
- Shop Seasonal!
- Keep your fridge organized so you can see what you need to eat.
- Use produce scraps for soups, broths, etc.
Seasonal eating was the norm before current advances in food production. In todays age, you can go to the grocery store and see the same produce year round.
Some benefits of eating seasonally include;
- It tastes better!
- More nutritious -- picking a crop before it is ripe lessens its nutritional value.
- It's cheaper!
- Beneficial to the environment and to the community - support local farmers markets.
Seasonal produce for January:
Early winter is the season for citrus! Lemons, oranges and tangerines are all great winter fruits.
You can also still find root vegetables like beets and turnips along with other vegetables like broccoli, carrots and Brussels sprouts.
Check out an online season food guide here.
Imperfect Foods is a grocery delivery service that strives to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for consumers.
They are able to source directly from farmers, growers, and food purveyors -- taking "ugly" produce that cannot be sold in stores and surplus foods. You are able to shop online and set up a subscription service that is cheaper than shopping in stores.
Since launching in 2015, Imperfect Foods has recovered 139 million pounds of food and donated 5.7 million pounds of food to food banks and nonprofits fighting hunger. #cookingugly #ImperfectFoods
Check them out here!